Kenya will not shy away from the war of terror, President Uhuru Kenyatta said Thursday while paying tribute to fallen soldiers from the attack at El-Adde in southern Somalia.
Speaking in Mombasa, the Head of State also said that the perpetrators of last Friday's attack on an Amisom base would be brought to book.
"These enemies of humanity struck at brave patriots, who are in Somalia to protect our families, our nation, and the world," he said.
“We are determined and committed to pursuing those criminals who perpetrated this act and ensure that they shall pay heavily for their crime,” Mr Kenyatta added, reiterating that Kenya will continue fighting Al Shabaab in Somalia.
Mr Kenyatta said continued efforts of the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) and Amisom peacekeepers have helped return normalcy to some parts of Somalia including its capital Mogadishu and the port city of Kismayu.
“We have over the years relieved millions of citizens of the Federal Republic of Somalia from the pitiless oppression of terror. Once again we reaffirm our resolve to stand with the international community to free Somalia from the oppression of terrorist groups,” he said.
The commander in chief hinted that the military would privately conduct the burials in line with laid down regimental traditions.
“The Ministry of Defence and the Kenya Defence Forces will proceed with the burial plans in line with military traditions. We as a nation join them in celebrating and honouring these fallen heroes.”
The State has so far declined to name the number of soldiers killed in the Friday attack.