Tanzania drops plan to bar candidates in elections
Saturday November 09 2019
The Tanzanian authorities have reversed a decision to disqualify many opposition candidates from local elections on 24 November.
Minister of State Selemani Jafo said leniency would be shown to allow previously barred candidates to stand.
A number had been told they would not be allowed to take part due to spelling mistakes and other errors on official forms.
Several opposition parties - including the biggest, Chadema - had announced that they would boycott the local elections, condemning them as a mockery of the democratic process.