Nigerian authorities on Tuesday confirmed a third case of Coronavirus involving in a 30-year-old woman; and added Germany, France and Spain to a list of five high-risk countries not to travel to.
The Lagos state ministry of health said that the Nigerian woman had returned from the United Kingdom on March 13.
She had observed self-Isolation upon arriving the country.
“Upon developing symptoms, she reached out to us, and she has now tested positive to the virus.”
The ministry said she was presently at the Mainland General Hospital in Yaba where she is receiving care.
The first index case involved an Italian who was in Nigeria for a business purpose and the second case was a Nigerian contact with the Italian.
Both have been successfully treated and discharged.
Meanwhile, the country is taking additional measures to prevent the spread of the virus as President Muhammadu Buhari has received the report of the committee set up by the federal government to assess the health and economic impact of the outbreak of Covid-19 on the country.
The Minister of State for Health, Mr Olorunnimbe Mamora, said the government has not lost sight that the country like others is still at high risk.
He said following the review carried out by health officials, Germany, France and Spain had been added to the list of high-risk countries for which Nigeria is paying closer attention on air travels.
“We continue to monitor returning travellers that fit our case definition and improve our surveillance, detection and risk communications.’’
The three countries have joined priority list- China, Japan, Iran, Italy, Republic of Korea, France and Germany.
Mamora explained that travellers from these eight countries will undertake secondary screening at the point of entry, adding that the passengers are also advised to self-isolate for 14 days on entry.
The 2020 edition of the National Sports Festival has been postponed.
The decision was reached after a meeting with the Minister of Sports, Sunday Dare, his health counterpart, Dr Osagie Ehanire and a few other experts at the Health Ministry.
Nigeria has also suspended 2020 Sports festival slated to hold in Benin City in Edo state, minister of Sports, Sunday Dare, reported in a series of tweet on his official Twitter handle.
“A meeting between the Ministers of Health, myself and a few other experts just concluded now at the Health Ministry to review the Covid-19 situation vis-a-vis Edo 2020 Sports festival towards making decision on the postponement. A final decision will be communicated shortly.
“President Muhammadu Buhari approves the postponement of the National Sports Festival Edo 2020 as a precautionary move against Covid-19 spread.
“Following the briefing of Mr President from myself and the Minister of State for Health on COVID 19, Mr. President approved the immediate postponement of Edo Sports’’.
The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) has announced the postponement of its 9th convocation ceremony slated for Saturday, March 21, at its Headquarters in Jabi, Abuja, on health grounds.
About 25, 000 graduating students were expected to participate in the ceremony.
Covid-19, first reported in Wuhan, China, last December, has claimed over 7,500 people globally with 184,976 confirmed cases, according to WHO.
Also the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) has also postponed its convocation just as University of Lagos (UNILAG) did.
NOUN’s Registrar, Mr Felix Edoka, said in a statement that Governing Council and Senate of NOUN jointly took the decision in view of the health dangers inherent in the gathering of a large number of people at this time.
“The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) wishes to inform the general public, especially our over 25, 000 graduating students, that the 9th convocation ceremonies, scheduled for March 20 and 21, 2020 have been postponed indefinitely.
“Council and Senate jointly took the decision in view of the health dangers inherent in the gathering of a large number of people at this time.’’