Blow to Buhari vow as 25 killed in Nigeria attack

Tuesday April 24 2018

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari's vow to end violence in the country has suffered a major blow with at least 25 people killed in another attack by herders in the north-central Plateau State.

The Monday night massacre happened in Dundu, Kwall District in Bassa Local Government Area.

The dead have been identified as 19 men, three women and three children.

This attack came barely three days after gunmen killed four people in Jos, the Plateau State capital on Friday.

Such atrocities

It also happened barely 24 hours after five people were killed in Bassa Local Government Area of the state, despite President Buhari’s visit to warn against such atrocities.


The Dundu Village head, Mr Daniel Kadzia, said the attackers invaded in a commando style and executed their dastardly act within minutes, having noticed that most youth and the men had gone for mining at that time.

Ms Laraba Yohanna, the mother of two of the children killed, said they were playing under the moonlight just before the attack.

RELATED CONTENT: Amnesty says 168 killed in Nigeria clashes

President Buhari had vowed to end the violence that has claimed hundreds of lives in several states this year.

During his visit to Plateau State, the president assured of the Federal Government’s commitment to support the Peace Building Agency to arrest the vicious cycle of violence.

President Buhari summoned and met with the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Ibrahim Idris, over reports that the police to failed to act on his directive after the killing of 72 people in Benue on the New Year Day.

IGP was the first caller to the Presidential Villa on Tuesday and they reportedly met in private for about 30 minutes.

Flouting the order

The president's media officer, Mr Garba Shehu, confirmed the visit but declined giving details.

President Buhari had on January 9 ordered IGP to relocate to Benue, eight days after suspected herdsmen attacked parts of the state and killed 72 people.

The attacks displaced hundreds, led to tension on the Benue-Nasarawa border, and outcry by the local people worried about the prolonged herdsmen-farmers conflict.

Days after the president’s directive, the Benue State Government Samuel Ortom accused the IGP of bias and of flouting the order.

That led to a war of words between the state government and the police, with Mr Ortom calling on the IGP to resign.