The Kenyan Government has raised a cholera alert in the five counties of Narok, Kajiado, Nairobi, Garissa and Machakos with six deaths reported since January.
The Health ministry said suspected cases have been recorded in the five counties and linked the surge to the current water shortage in the country.
A regional cholera outbreak update by the Unicef indicates the five counties have positively captured 72 cases of the infectious disease and six deaths between January 1 to April 16.
“The risk factors identified to be propagating the disease include scarce or shortage of safe clean water, and poor sanitation and hygiene practices in isolated high-risk areas,” reads the statement in part.
The confirmation by the ministry comes as the Nairobi Hospital confirmed that 52 staff members were infected with the disease since it broke out last week.
The government is in talks with distributors of anti-cholera supplies comprising pharmaceutical, non-pharmaceutical and laboratory diagnostic support to facilitate timely confirmation and effective case management.
“The ministry urges the affected counties to advise the public to refer any suspected cases to the nearest health facility or temporary cholera treatment centre for assessment and management,” said the statement.
At least four people died and dozens more were treated when another outbreak hit the city in 2017, causing authorities to shut down some restaurants.
Nairobi and Kajiado counties last month issued a cholera alert. In a letter dated March 21 and addressed to all county medical superintendents, Nairobi County Director of Health Lucina Koyio said that all sub-counties in the capital were on a high alert.