Kenyan court awards former suspects of Kampala bombings

Wednesday January 16 2019

Court ruling

Three Kenyans have won a case against the government over violation of their rights when they were renditioned to Uganda to face terrorism charges. PHOTO | FILE 

By The EastAfrican
More by this Author

A High Court in Nairobi has awarded three Kenyans arraigned in Uganda over terrorism charges Ksh8 million ($78,800).

The three, among four others, were arrested in Kenya and renditioned to Uganda to face charges over the 2010 Kampala bombing, drawing criticism from human-rights groups who said Nairobi did not follow the law while surrendering its citizens to a foreign country.

Justice David Majanja, while awarding the monies to Mohamed Adan Abdow, Mohamed Hamid Suleiman and Yahya Suleiman Mbuthia, on Tuesday said their rights had been violated.

The July 2010 twin bombings targeted football fans watching the World Cup final between the Netherlands and Spain at Kyadondo Rugby Club and the Ethiopian Village Restaurant in Kampala killing 76 people.

The attacks were claimed by Somalia's Al-Shabaab jihadist group.

Of the 13 men tried, seven were convicted and found guilty of terrorism, murder and attempted murder.

Five others, among them the three Kenyans who sued their government, were acquitted of those charges, while another was acquitted of lesser crimes.

The suspects included seven Kenyans, one Tanzanian and five Ugandans.

Advertisement