The crisis in Sudan escalated on Monday after the opposition Change and Freedom Alliance said it had pulled out of talks with the military junta that usurped power from Omar al Bashir in April.
Talks between the alliance and the Transitional Military Council appeared headed to resolve the succession dispute two weeks ago when the parties announced the formation of three administrative organs.
However, they soon stalled over the composition and leadership of a proposed sovereign council which would effectively be running the country.
Both the alliance and the junta want to have majority in and leadership of the council.
“We hereby declare the stop of negotiations with the TMC," the alliance said in a statement on Monday evening.
The opposition has further called on supporters not to relent with the general strike and civil disobedience until they bring down the military council.
This followed the killing of protesters at a sit-in in front of the military headquarters which the alliance blamed on the military council.
"We hold the council responsible of the planning and implementation of this massacre that led to the killing of at least 13 protesters and other 116 wounded so far,” the statement said.
It said two bodies were found in the River Nile where they are suspected to have been thrown.
“We have credible reports that some bodies have been thrown into the Nile where two of them the were found” it stated.
It also called for international help in evacuating protesters as well as the bodies marooned in the area condoned off by forces loyal to the military council.
It added that medical services and media agencies could not access the area.
The attack is the latest signal that the Transitional Military Council, with the support of Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, has no immediate intentions to transfer power to a civilian administration.
Talks between the junta and the protestors ended in deadlock last week with who would lead a sovereign council the deal breaker.