Nigeria reinforces security after Zamfara State massacre

Monday December 24 2018

 

By MOHAMMED MOMOH
More by this Author

Nigerian authorities have deployed additional security to the North West Zamfara State following an attack by suspected bandits that claimed at least 17 lives.

Police spokesman Mohammed Shehu said the law enforcers were directed to work with the military and other security personnel already deployed to the area.

He added that the team was asked to restore normalcy in the entire Zamfara and prevent any security threat by any disgruntled person or group.

Lasting solutions

Mr Shehu revealed that the acting governor of the state, the Commissioner of Police, and heads of other security agencies in Zamfara visited the scene of the attack earlier on Sunday.

The visit was to put in more proactive security measures to bring lasting solutions to the security challenges.

While the police command condoled the government and people of Zamfara State over the attack, it also vowed to arrest and bring to justice the perpetrators.

Continued collaboration

The police command appealed for continued collaboration with all the security agencies.

Mr Shehu said the assailants who stormed the village in the late evening, attacked innocent villagers indiscriminately.

Zamfara was declared an Islamic state in 1999.

Advertisement