Suspected Boko Haram militants killed at least 32 travellers in Auno, 24 kilometres from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital in northern Nigeria.
The bus had been parked in the village on Sunday as it was past the 5pm army-imposed curfew for travel. The army imposed the curfew to contain insurgents.
At about 9.45pm, the militants attacked the passengers, army commander Maj Gen Olusegun Adeniyi confirmed. The attackers killed the 32 and abducted others, mostly women. The bus and 18 other vehicles were set ablaze.
President Muhammadu Buhari sent his condolences to the families, and reassured Nigerians that he would soon end the insurgency.
Mr Garba Shehe, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, said in Abuja the government is determined to prevent Boko Haram from holding Nigeria on ransom.
“The commitment of this administration to protect the lives of Nigerians will not be derailed by the cowardly and indiscriminate violence against innocent people by Boko Haram terrorists...As our armed forces continue to receive more hardware and intelligence to counter our current security challenges, the remnants of Boko Haram will ultimately be crushed,” he said.