24-hour curfew imposed on Nigeria's Kaduna State

Tuesday October 23 2018

Policemen stand guard in the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna, Nigeria on October 4, 2018. FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

A 24-hour curfew has been imposed on the capital of North Central Nigeria's Kaduna State to contain violence.

The restriction on movement in Kaduna city and its environs follows last week's killing of at least 55 people in Kasuwan Magani, Kajuru local government areas.

State spokesman Samuel Aruwan said the curfew was as a pre-emptive measure to avert further breakdown of law and order.

Mr Aruwan said in a telephone interview that the action was based on the advice of security chiefs in the state, adding that the government would give details later.

A sermon

The latest security crisis began at Mararaba Rido and spilled over to Sabon Tasha, Tudun Wada, Central Market and Ahmadu Bello Way, in the Kaduna metropolis on Sunday.


A resident of Mararaban Rido, Mrs Hanatu Simon, said it was triggered by a man caught suspiciously recording a sermon in a church with his phone.

Mrs Simon said church officials reported the matter to the police and the man was arrested and taken away.

“However, around 3pm we heard gun shots around the market area with people running in all directions, houses were being burnt and everyone was running for his life,” she said.

Normalcy returns

Another residents, Mr Julius John said: “I don’t know what is happening, I am in my house, but all I can here is gun shots with people shouting and running.”

Some youths who reportedly blocked the busy Nnamdi Azikiwe Expressway and Ahmadu Bello Way with burning tyres, were later dispersed by security agents.

Stranded commuters from across the city were seen trekking to their destinations as vehicle owners kept off the roads.

Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood said several units had been deployed to restore normalcy.

“The intervention force will be working in synergy with the Kaduna state police command to ensure that peace and normalcy returns to the area," he said.