Agenda 2063 is the blueprint and master plan for transforming Africa into the global powerhouse of the future.
Agenda 2063 is Africa’s strategic framework that aims to deliver on Africa’s goal for inclusive and sustainable development and is a concrete manifestation of the pan-African drive for unity, self-determination, freedom, progress and collective prosperity pursued under Pan-Africanism and African Renaissance.
Why Agenda 2063?
The need to envision a long-term 50 year development trajectory for Africa is important as Africa needs to revise and adapt its development agenda due to ongoing structural transformations; increased peace and reduction in the number of conflicts; renewed economic growth and social progress; the need for people-centred development, gender equality and youth empowerment; changing global contexts such as increased globalisation and the ICT revolution; the increased unity of Africa which makes it a global power to be reckoned with and capable of rallying support around its own common agenda; and emerging development and investment opportunities in areas such as agri-business, infrastructure development, health and education as well as the value addition in African commodities.
Agenda 2063 seeks to deliver on a common and shared set of 7 aspirations:
Aspiration 1: A prosperous Africa based on inclusive growth and sustainable development.
Aspiration 2: An integrated continent, politically united and based on the ideals of Pan-Africanism and the vision of Africa’s Renaissance.
Aspiration 3: An Africa of good governance, democracy, respect for human rights, justice and the rule of law.
Aspiration 4: A peaceful and secure Africa.
Aspiration 5: An Africa with a strong cultural identity, common heritage, shared values and ethics.
Aspiration 6: An Africa, whose development is people-driven, relying on the potential of African people, especially its women and youth, and caring for children.
Aspiration 7: Africa as a strong, united, resilient and influential global player and partner.
The Vision and African Aspirations for Agenda 2063
Agenda 2063 is founded on the African Union (AU) Vision of “An Integrated, Prosperous, and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the International arena.”
In addition to the various activities to be implemented at continental and Member State level, Agenda 2063 prioritises several flagship projects whose implementation is seen as key in accelerating Africa’s growth.
Flagship Projects of Agenda 2063
- African Continental Free Trade Area:Creating one African market
- African Commodities Strategy: Value addition for global competitiveness
- Cyber Security
- Silencing the Guns by 2020: Towards a peaceful and secure Africa
- African Economic Platform: Africa's premier business forum
- Great African Museum
- Grand INGA Dam Project: Africa's energy powerhouse
- Pan African e-Network: Transforming Africa through innovative technology
- African Financial Institutions: Accelerating economic integration
- Integrated High Speed Train Network: Interconnecting Africa
- African Passport:Free movement of persons in Africa
- African Virtual and e-University: Increasing access to higher education
- Single African Air Transport Market:Towards one African sky
- Africa Outer Space Strategy: Harnessing space technology for development
Find out more about the AU and Agenda 2063 by visiting www.au.int.