33 hospitalised with cholera in Nairobi

Saturday July 15 2017

Nairobi County Executive Dr Benard Muia during

Nairobi County Executive Dr Benard Muia during a press briefing on July 15, 2017. PHOTO | BERNADINE MUTANU | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By DAILY NATION
More by this Author

Thirty three cholera victims are hospitalised various health facilities in Nairobi, county executive Dr Benard Muia says.

In the past two months, 96 cholera cases have been confirmed in the Kenyan capital, the county official said.

Three fatalities have been reported so far. 

On Friday, three top government officials and several staff from the Trade and the Treasury ministries were treated for cholera-related symptoms.

This was after they ate food served during a trade event at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC).

Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich, his Trade counterpart Adan Mohammed as well as Trade Principal Secretary Chris Kiptoo were confirmed to have been affected by the contaminated food that has seen more than 50 people treated and discharged for cholera-related symptoms.

Four individuals from the KICC suspected cases are still in hospital.

Dr Muia said the county will shut down all unlicensed open cooking places.